Friday, April 22, 2011

Playdough

I favorite in this house is playdough with the adults too.  One thing, I just can't stand the smell of the stuff the comes from the store.  Not to mention it is hard to get out of the container without making a mess of your fingernails.

I know there are only a million and a half recipes out there for it, but here is my favorite.

Playdough
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon peppermint/almond/vanilla extract (peppermint being my favorite)

Mix the dry ingrednets in a pan.  I like to use my old crappy nonstick pan.
Add in the water and oil, heat on medium high.
It is going to start to look weird as it cooks, just keep stirring it around so that the middle will cook because it will want to ball up a bit.  When it looks to be done about 2-3 minutes put it onto wax paper/cutting board.
Then divide it and start to color.  I find that using rubber gloves can be very nice.
 

Time to play.








2 comments:

  1. cool! How long does it keep? do you refrigerate it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It keeps for weeks, if fact I have kept some for a couple months before it started to dry out too much. You do not have to keep it in the fridge, I keep it in a bin with cookie cutters.

    ReplyDelete