Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Disney on Ice

Don't worry, I'm not one of those Rabid Disney Moms ™ yet, but my daughter is still young and there is time.  This weekend we went to Disney on Ice: Princess Wishes.  I don't know that I've even been to an ice show, and if I have it obviously did not make an impression on me.  I do have to say that the cast members are real athletes.  They have a fairly small rink and do some pretty good moves inside the small area.  I mean they aren't going to be joining the Olympic team anytime soon but they did a great job of putting on a show.

Most of the princess crap that is shoved down young girls throats gets my goat but at the same time as a parent I am responsible for what I expose my child to.  I like Disney, I grew up on Disney movies, I've been to Disney World and couple times and really want to go again.  While I don't agree that every little girl should be a princess from birth and I don't agree that the movies always send the right message.  Take Beauty and the Beast for example.  Belle is a independent thinker who stays in an abusive relationship to save her father.  No parent would/should ever ask that of their child but that isn't the real story.  In the story the Belle goes by her own free will and is well taken care of by the Beast, only to be tricked by her jealous sisters.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that you have to take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy it for what it is, plain and simply, entertainment.  I had a great time watching the show and I would happily go to another one.  I was impressed with Sweet Pea and her cousins for actually watching almost the entire show, I think they all really enjoyed it, yes even the little boy. :)

 My MIL with an anxious SP.
 Monsoon and I in a picture taken by Cyclone.  She always looks so stoic, but she did have a great time.
 He likes it!






Sweet Pea and Monsoon's favorites, too bad they were only out there occasionally.   Next time we'll have to see the Mickey and Minnie show.  Also a big thank you to my Other Mother who was a complete trooper when my mom got sick the morning of the show.  She and I kept a 4, almost 3 and almost 2 year olds in line and we got them around safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment