Thursday, March 3, 2011

What I'm reading.

 I just finished a few books (I like to keep a few going at the same time) and they've been hit or miss lately.

1. Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond aka The Pioneer Woman.
 This is the story of how she met her husband and up to a couple months after she had her first child. She can tell a story really well.  At times you want to reach through and shake her but she always leaves you laughing.

2. Life of Pi by Yann Martel.  This story is about a boy and a tiger on a boat for over 200 days.  Yes, it is an amazing story.  It has a little bit hard to get into but I'm glad it stuck with it.

3. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender.  This book had a lot of promise and the concept (that the main character can feel the emotions of the people who make the food when she eats it) but it was just strange and fell flat.

4. A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle.  I'm about halfway through this book and I really like it so far.  It is about a British couple who move to Provence and the challenges of living there.  It has taken me a long time to read it because other books came my way that demanded immediate attention.

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  I'm having a hard time reading this and keep picking it up and then getting distracted by other books.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

6. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.  Halfway through this book already thanks to my listening to it at work in audio form.  It is a decent book, not one I would probably read again though.

Not pictured, because it is either on my Kindle or and Audio book:
7.&8. The Hunger Games and Catching Fire  by Suzanne Collins.  These are both re-reads and I'm enjoying them as much the second time as the first.  It is about the US in the future being ruled by a brutal government that oppresses and starves its people.  Each year two kids are chosen from each district to fight to the death in these hunger games.  It sounds pretty harsh but Collins she can write a gripping book.

9. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane.  This is about a boy who signs up to fight for the north during the American civil war.  He runs away from battle and feels shame and ends up fighting again and returning to his original unit.  He then becomes a real fighter more so then before.

So there is the list as is stand for now.  I'm hoping to clean up those that I've started so I can move on to some more books on my to read list.

No comments:

Post a Comment