Saturday, March 19, 2011

French Toast

I love breakfast, I could eat breakfast foods all day long.  But I'm sure everyone else would be tried of them.  One of my favorites is french toast and when I make it I make an entire loaf and freeze most of it for weekday mornings.  How nice is it to have homemade french toast or pancakes on a Tuesday morning and all you had to do was put it in the toaster and go finish getting ready for the morning.

All these are approximate measures and you could surely half/quart the recipe for what you need.
1 loaf bread (I like a hearty wheat that will hold up and not get too soggy)
8 eggs
1/2 -3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
Mix up the eggs, milk and salt in a  low flat container, get out those 9x9 or 13x9 inch pans.  I will sometimes do mine in batches so that the pan does not get too full.

Now get out your cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, take the lids off and leave them off because you are going to be using them again and again.  Sprinkle a generous amount of the cinnamon on the egg mixture, and very small amounts of the nutmeg and clove.  You really just want a hint of spice, not an overpowering taste.

Then dip the bread into the mixture and put onto a  hot griddle/frying pan. Flip once and done.

So why are the spices still out?  Well the bread is going to take it out and so you are going to want to put more on the egg mixture so that all of the bread has some of the spices on it.  You do not want boring french toast!  And if you are the Mr. you've gotta top them with peanut butter and syrup.  I like just butter and syrup most the time though.

Then bag up the rest the freezer safe baggies or containers.  I usually let them cool down most the way before sealing them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment