Thursday, February 10, 2011

Biscuits

Dinner the other night was bean soup (yum) and since I needed something to go with it. Since I didn't have any in the fridge (ha, don't judge ;)) I checked out Food Network's website as I've had luck there before.

So here is the recipe by Alton Brown. I think the next cookbook I get will be by him, I've liked the recipes I've tried of his.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1 cup buttermilk, chilled

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minute



My helper mixing it up
This is how it looks after you work the butter and shortening into the flour mixture.

Add the milk (I didn't have buttermilk so I used 1 tablespoon white vinegar into a liquid measuring cup and filled the rest to 1 cup with milk, let it sit 5 minutes without stirring)

Then drop out onto the floured surface and kneed a little

Cut out biscuits.

Fresh!We ate our with butter and honey and it was delicious. Particularly with the soup!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'll have to try Alton's biscuit recipe next. I don't know why, but since we moved out here to the boonies I've been having trouble getting my biscuits to rise. I have no idea why, but I'm having fun experimenting with different biscuit recipes while I try to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe your oven temp is off. I certainly think mine is. I suppose I need to invest in a thermometer. Anyway you should try these, they are easy!

    ReplyDelete